A great meal to get the family cooking together… little guys can peel carrots, middles can chop capsicum and sausages, big peoples can deal with the onions and seasonings
Like many of my recipes, this started out as something else about 20 years ago… someone else’s family favourite… It included cocktail frankfurts, powdered soup, and tomato sauce! I wanted something less processed, and this is the end result. Tweak it if needed, to suit your family, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 Cup dry Barley, soaked OVERNIGHT in 2 cups water, then drain and rinse
- 2 Large Onions, diced
- 1kg+ Carrots, peeled, and chopped kinda chunky
- 2-3 Green Capsicum, diced
- 2 Massel chicken stock cubes
- 2 Jars Tomato Passata
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tb Parsley, chopped
- 1kg Sausages, cooked. Can be from another day or can be cooked an hour or two before serving this meal up
- Celtic Sea Salt, to taste
- Optional: 3 cups green beans
Step by Step Instructions
Layer in the slow cooker: Onions, Barley (drained & rinsed), stock cubes, paprika, parsley, carrots, capsicum.
Pour over everything, 1 jar of passata. Then 1/2 fill the jar with water, to rinse the jar (lid on and shake), and pour the rinse water over, too.
Place the lid on, and cook on “high” for about 6 hours, depending on YOUR slow cooker.
Cook sausages now, if not already cooked. Slice them into 2cm pieces (I like to chop with kitchen scissors, to save time)
At about 4-5 hours into cooking time, stir well. Add the chopped sausages, and stir in. Green beans could be added here, too.
Add Salt as desired, and more Passata/water, as needed. Stir well, Finish the cooking time; serve and enjoy.
* If you want it thicker, increase Barley to 1.5 cups
*If your son wants it thicker, he will increase the Barley to 1.5 cups, ha!
* If cooking on the stove top: Saute onions in butter. Then add carrots, and capsicum, and saute with the onions for a couple more minutes. Then add all the other ingredients plus an extra cup of water. Simmer on low, and keep an eye on it. You may need to add more liquid. I cook it for… at least an hour? Then let it sit with no heat for an hour. Then add in chopped sausages/green beans, and heat it through again (making sure beans are cooked) before serving.
Recipe Writer, Bargain Hunter
Delivering groceries to Narelle is a pleasure as the kids all rush the delivery van as it stops in the driveway to help with the boxes and see whats inside. Even after all these years it's so lovely to see them get amped up about the deliveries from the "veggie man".
Narelle shares with us her recipes and her tactics for feeding a large family on a small budget. Her common sense strategies are something we love sharing with all our customers - and even better her hearty, nutritious and tasty recipes!
Want To Reduce Your Waste?
Our Policies on packagin waste are great for zero waste households. Whatever stage of your zero waste journey you are at you will love how we do things at Real Food Grocer
Get Recipes Straight to Your Inbox!
Real Food grocer members don’t just get the ability to shop our wicked online store! you also get a weekly newsletter with news from the market and loads of fun recipes and specials!