- 1 x Eggplant (Cut into smallish cubes)
- 2 x Celery Sticks (Chopped)
- 1 x Brown Onion (Chopped)
- 1 x Red Capsicum (Chopped)
- 6 x Tomatoes (finely diced, or even blended)
- 1 ½ Cups of vegetable stock
- 50g Capers and 50g Green Olives (you can use kalamata if you prefer them)
- ¼ Cup of Sultanas; ¼ Cup of Pinenuts
- 1 Tablespoon Caster sugar
- Garlic, Orange Zest, Vegetable Stock, Basil, Parsley, Red Wine Vinegar, EVOO, Salt, Pepper.
This unusual dish is a Sicilian Eggplant Stew. Sicily has a rich history, with influence from many different cultures including French, Islamic, Italian, Greek and Byzantine and you can really see a fantastic fusion in this dish. Serve the dish with some chargrilled bread.
- Fry Onions and Celery with some Olive Oil on a medium head, add the eggplant and some extra oil after 2 minutes and cook until the eggplant has sweated out some juice and is wet about 6 minutes.
- Add 3 cloves of garlic, tomatoes, capsicums, and stock, cook until the tomatoes break down and form a sauce, about 15 minutes
- Add Capers, Olives, Sultanas, Red Wine Vinegar (1/4 of a cup), Orange Zest (1 table spoon), , Sugar, Salt and Pepper. Cook until the sauce thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir through pinenuts and herbs.
This dish can be either the main or a fancy side, it is often served with cod, but would go well with most fish, lamb, steak, a BBQ side, rice, roast potatoes or with some bread and dip on the side.
Get Better Groceries Delivered Weekly